Welcome to Colchester, UK
On your right is the sightseeing bus.
It starts here, right outside the main
entrance to Colchester Castle Museum.
A Look at Colchester
Photos by Sue McPherson 2001
Priory Walk -
in the historic town centre. Colchester's history goes back 2000 years, to before the Roman invasion of AD 43, when Colchester was called Camulodunum.
The Colchester Sphinx
on display at Castle Museum
On the left is a drawing of Ancient Sculpture in Stone of a Sphinx found at Colchester on the 17th of March, 1821 (Hay, 1821)
At the centre and to
the left is a magnificent mulberry tree (bush), approximately 150
Anglian Quillers display:
Essex County Library, Colchester.
A 7 ft high floral
tribute stands in
The two female figures over the archway
of Colchester Town Hall depict the Sun
and the Earth (Clark, 1972).
View showing the
archway, with the
figures of the Sun and Earth.
Links to Earth and
Calendar on the ceiling of Colchester Council Chamber, Town Hall.
The photos on this website are the property of Sue McPherson and may only be used for personal use. Please write for permission if for any other use.
The materials on this website are not permitted to be reproduced without written permission from Sue McPherson. Please address queries about this site to
Sue McPherson, web site design and writer.
Email: s.a.mcpherson @ sympatico.ca
This page was created in 2001, last updated 18 May 2008
Holy Trinity Church
Click on photos for larger view